Sunday 22 July 2012

Learning to Accept that A Square is a Rectangle (19 July 2012)

The most impact full part of Thursday's lesson was being told that  "a square is a rectangle" with evidence on the websites.  I was dumb founded.  I just got to find out about this fact after living off half a century of my life.  All in the whole cohorts agreed that we weren't being told of the fact, so I am convinced that our teachers are not doing their job well in our times.  So for the past years we had not been fair in assessing children's ability to recognize square and rectangle.  We hadn't given them chance to explain their answers but quick to mark them down if their had recognize square as a rectangle or vice versa.  But nonetheless I was being pacified to know that it isn't necessary to let children about the definition of the shape and if I do, I would probably confused them.

Which brings me to understand the Van Hiele 5 Levels of geometric thought (Walle, Karp & Williams (2013) p. 403 - p. 406):

Level 0: Visualization - which we is the level our kindergarteners are where they can only classify shapes based on their appearance.

Level: 1: Analysis - the next level of learning which will occur when they are in P4 & P5 where children will learn that a collection of shapes goes together because of their properties.

Level 2: Informal Deduction - only taught in P6 onwards where children will observe shapes beyond their properties and and focus on logical arguments about it.

Level 3:  Deduction - students are taught in Sec 3 & 4 where they work with abstract statements about geometric properties and make conclusions from logic.

Level 4:  Rigor - The highest level of the van Hiele hierarchy, a mastery level where "there is a distinctions and relations between different axiomatic systems."  One that I, myself  could not explain deeper and I have not gone through this stage.

Nevertheless, through the class activities of the day, the main focus is to leave with the thought that I am here to learn NOT to teach only the content knowledge but preparing children to learn the content and moulding them to become creative thinkers to open their minds; to look at problems in different perspectives; and solving them in many possible ways. 


No comments:

Post a Comment