Monday 23 July 2012

Technology - 6th Principles in Mathematics


Who can deny the importance and the usefulness of technology in teaching mathematics in this 21st century?  I am one true dependent on technological tools to help me find my answers and using spreadsheet is my favourite way of computing datas and managing my accounts.  If without it, I am as good as brain dead. Check on the link  that will enthrall you with the many ways students can explore technology to support them in solving mathematical problems. www.nctm.org/uploadedFiles/About_NCTM/Position_Statements/Technology%20final.pdf

TPACK Framework
The TPACK framework (Walle, Karp & Williams, (2013), Figure 7.1 on page 113) shows the infusion of technology to the mix of technological, pedagogical and content knowledge. A framework to support teachers with the knowledge to provide an effective pedagogical practice using technology to enhanced their learning environment.  


No doubt, using technological tools in learning mathematics is useful,  but we have to bear in mind that "it cannot be a replacement for the full conceptual understanding of mathematics content.  Teachers strategic planning when and how the tools can and should be used is still essential for the support and to ensure that learning takes place.  


Though I am not favorable that parents nowadays indulge children with IPads and tablets without proper facilitation of learning, but I never once underestimate the power of internet resources.  I am certain that with proper guidance to access good websites, children will expand their knowledge and motivated to excel.  


No comments:

Post a Comment